Sunday, November 3, 2013

Geek Beats Episode #4: Top 5 Assassin's Creed Songs

So, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag just came out... and I haven't played it yet. That's okay though, I'll get to it when I get to it. However, its release does provide me with the perfect time to do a countdown of my favorite songs from the Assassin's Creed franchise. This top five was honestly a hard one for me because the music of original franchise composer, Jesper Kyd, and co-composer for AC: Revelations and solo composer for Assassin's Creed III, Lorne Balfe, became some of my favorite video game music of all time. If you are scouring the internet for video game blogs I will safely assume that you know enough about the Assassin's Creed franchise that I can spare the details. If you know nothing, then go pick up a copy of the first Assassin's Creed and play already, Jon Snow. Now, here are my top five favorite songs from the Assassin's Creed series.

#5: Fight Club
Composer: Lorne Balfe
Game: Assassin's Creed III

This song embodies the pioneering, rustic, Red-Coat-ass-kicking personality of Connor (maybe even better than the character did). The fast playing of the fiddle was perfect for game moments where tension was high and much was at stake, and the breakdown halfway through the piece is awesome.
 

#4: Homestead
Composer: Lorne Balfe
Game: Assassin's Creed III

Completely opposite to number five is Homestead, a slow and peaceful piece that will almost lull you to sleep. For a game series that is known for big moments and bombastic set pieces, it could be considered odd that such a tranquil song would make it onto a top five list. However, I think that beautiful songs such as these are completely necessary to contrast the high-octane scenes and the music associated with them in order for the highs to feel much higher. Besides, this song is pretty, don't judge me, just listen to it.

#3: Venice Rooftops
Composer: Jesper Kyd
Game: Assassin's Creed II

A fan favorite, Venice Rooftops is arguably one of the most iconic pieces from the most beloved game in the AC series. Jesper Kyd creates a perfectly melded sound of guitar, drum set, strings, and choir to complement pretty boy Ezio Auditore da Firenze's epic introduction in Assassin's Creed II.

#2: Tower Defense
Composer: Jesper Kyd
Game: Assassin's Creed: Revelations

Don't be turned off by the title. Yes, it is a song from AC: Revelations. Yes, it is the song for the tower defense sequence of the game, arguably one of the weakest game play devices implemented in any AC game to date. It doesn't change the fact that the weakest part of Revelations had one of the best songs.

#1: Labored and Lost
Composer: Lorne Balfe
Game: Assassin's Creed: Revelations 

From what I've seen on the internet, I am under the impression that I am one of a handful of people who really enjoyed playing Revelations. Whether that's true or not, it doesn't bother me at all because I know that Revelations contains my favorite piece in all of the AC franchise, Labored and Lost. I won't spoil anything for people who have not played it, but this piece comes towards the end of the game during a particularly gut-wrenching scene. It's a song that, in its entirety, is so sad and beautiful all at once. It is also the piece that I point to whenever I hear of someone who did not like the change in composers from Jesper Kyd to Lorne Balfe. Revelations had the benefit of having two main composers, Kyd for the in-game score and Balfe (with a little help from Hans Zimmer, mind you) for the cut-scenes. The fusion of their distinctive styles creates a unique listening experience throughout the game, which is why my top two favorite pieces are from each composer within Assassin's Creed: Revelations.

BONUS! - Assassin's Creed: Revelations E3 Trailer
Song: Iron by Woodkid

Okay, it's not technically a song from an Assassin's Creed game, but it was so well implemented in the E3 trailer that it is almost impossible for me not to consider it part of the franchise. Plus, the trailer is what got me into Woodkid who, by the way, makes some awesome music. Each line of the song fits so perfectly with Ezio's plight throughout Revelations, and the timing of the music and animation is great. I probably watched this trailer at least thirty times before the game came out, and to this day it remains one of the most effective trailers to get me to buy a game that I've ever seen.

What were your favorite songs from this list? Would you rate them differently? Are there any other songs from the Assassin's Creed series that you love? Tell me about them and more in the comments or on Twitter @SG_Gamer.

No comments:

Post a Comment