Friday, August 23, 2013

Oculus Rift: The Future is Now! And it's a little nauseating...

I want to try the Oculus Rift. Why? For the obvious reasons, of course. This machine has been making big headlines since E3 throughout the gaming community and beyond; it has been heralded as the dawn of a new era of gaming and technology, with the ability to change the way in which we play, view, and experience. Those are pretty lofty opinions, so of course I would want to decide whether the Oculus Rift stands up to the hype for myself. However, I've found that I have been forming an opinion about this virtual reality breakthrough through reading articles and watching reviews, and there are issues that I have with the system that will not be put to rest until I strap the goggle-like contraption on and take it for my own test drive.

The matter of physical limitations when using the Oculus Rift interests me more than anything. At this point, I've seen enough YouTube videos of people falling over, getting sick, or just generally losing their minds at what they are experiencing to wonder how much thought is going into the idea that something like this can be dangerous, physically and mentally. From what I've seen of the general population using the Oculus Rift, it serves more as a dare machine than anything else, something where people get together and see who is the first to fall or vomit or break something.

Obviously, there is personal responsibility involved in knowing your limitations, but because VR technology has never reached the scope of what the Oculus Rift has achieved, there is not much prior knowledge at hand for people to make that call. Using myself as an example, I know that I am excited and thrilled to ride a rollercoaster despite the sinking feeling in my stomach, I do not care for 3D movie experiences, I only play a Nintendo 3DS with the 3D feature enabled for minutes at a time, and I am not particularly one to get motion sickness. I'd wager that I would last a good 5-10 minutes in an Oculus Rift headset before I gave up, but there's no way to know without experience. However, I cannot imagine a situation in which I had to play through an entire game using the Oculus Rift.

To me, this problem is only enhanced by taking into consideration something like the Uncanny Valley of gaming mechanisms. Examining the world inside the Oculus would feel so close to real and almost believable, but there would always be limitations to how far your brain can register this virtual world. In my opinion, the worst thing that a developer could do would be to try and create a game that strives for perfect realism as opposed to new fantastical environments. The disconnect between the brain's knowledge of the real world and the slight deviations from that knowledge which would come from a realistic game would almost be unbearable. (Sounds a lot like Desmond in the Animus, if you ask me)

Despite some of my concerns, I do feel that there will be a place for the Oculus Rift. Experiences that rely heavily on passive involvement as opposed to active participation will most likely be the most immersive. I was really impressed by the use of the Oculus Rift coupled with Google Maps which allowed users to view any location in the world as if they were there themselves. It's amazing to imagine the possibility of someone who would never have the opportunity to visit the Eiffel Tower or Great Pyramids looking up at a lifelike simulation of them as if they were right there in front of these wonders. Hands-free gaming will be reborn with new possibilities. And for those who can handle it, horror games and film will become all too real, which is perfect for fans of the genre. I guess this is another one of those situations in which only time will tell, and hopefully within that time I'll get to have a chance with the Oculus Rift myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment