Sunday, August 4, 2013

The State of League of Legends Gamecasting

So, I've been watching a ton of the League of Legends Championship Series on Twitch.tv lately (I'm sure I'll come back and address my new found obsession with League of Legends at some point), and I've realized just how young and new this game and it's fanbase is just by looking at one thing: the speaking ability of both the game casters and players. 

I'm not hating on anyone's ability to publicly speak; I know I personally suck at doing it. But it's interesting to watch the championships and compare the tone, word choice, articulation, etc. of the casters in the LCS to that of, say, a professional sportscaster of the NFL, NBA, or even another esport. I've watched a good amount of Call of Duty championship casters, and sometimes it's clear which game has been around longer by how well the casters are able to cast the game. 

In the defense of LCS casters, though, it is important to note the nature of the game. There are so many different champions, attacks, items, monsters, etc. that it is a wonder how these people can even follow anything at all. As a beginner, I am always thoroughly impressed in the casters' ability to follow and talk through a 5v5 engagement, calling out the attacks used with no hesitation. I just think that as time goes on, the casters will find an even more articulate rhythm to their voice.

As for the player interviews, I would hope that at some point there will come a time in which players are essentially coached through how to hold an interview. Obviously some are better than others, as is the case for all players who are interviewed in other sports, but I know that I have a lot of problems following what some players are saying during their after-game interviews. Hopefully this is an issue that will be solved with more time and experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment